UPDATE: If you are flying in, please note that The World Equestrian Games is being held in Tyron NC. Over 500k people are expected to attend and Signature expects a flood of private jets over the next couple weeks. Please call them before you fly to arrange parking. (828)687-7110
If you’re flying in for the EAA Leadership Bootcamp, we’ve got a couple tips for you:
- KAVL is a smaller class C airport with one runway. We’ve been on a temporary runway for a few years as the main runway is being rebuilt, but the temporary is still 7001′ x 100′. This makes it only slightly confusing as the construction has taxiways closed from time to time. Be sure to check NOTAMS.
- Tell the tower/ground controller you’re headed for the EAA Bootcamp at Civil Air Patrol. UPDATE: PLEASE CALL SIGNATURE FOR PARKING/TIEDOWN ARRANGEMENTS (828)687-7110
- The charts have two listed Approach frequencies depending on the location you are approaching. In practice, most local pilots use 124.65 regardless of your location. They will answer you on either frequency. Don’t sweat it.
- The local mountains make it difficult for you to be seen on radar below 5000 feet to the east and west of the airport. There is a fair amount of commercial traffic at the airport.
- Please contact the chapter president, Michael Doornbos if you have any local questions. email@example.com and 828-450-7418.
- Since the Airport is a class C, there is tight security. You’ll need to be escorted by someone with a badge while on the ramp. Several EAA Chapter members will be present, and the Civil Air Patrol will also send a few people for support.
- There IS self-serve fuel on the field. It’s on the far North Ramp. Please remember that you need to talk to ground on 121.9 to taxi onto Taxiway Alpha when going over there.
Meeting location if you’re driving:
Asheville Composite Squadron (MER-NC-019)
120 Wright Brothers Way
Fletcher, NC 28732
DIRECTIONS: From Exit 40 (Airport Rd) off I-26, turn south toward the Asheville Regional Airport, and into the main airport entrance. Immediately turn right, and then into the parking lot on the left between the two hangars, and our squadron is through the access gate (labeled PG 6) in the building on your left. Please identify yourself at the gate, and someone will escort you in!